Grate the Gruyère cheese. Chop the fresh chive. Chop the fresh basil.
- 1 Snap the woody ends off the asparagus spears and halve them lengthways if thick.
- 2 Cook in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes, until just tender. Drain, refresh under cold running water and set aside.
- 3 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 4 Use one-third of the butter to grease one 1.5-2 litre baking dish (square or rectangular) per clafoutis being made.
- 5 Arrange the asparagus spears in the dish. Put them in the oven while you prepare the clafoutis mixture.
- 6 Melt the remaining butter and leave to cool slightly.
- 7 In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks until pale and fluffy.
- 8 Briefly whisk in the melted butter, then sift in the flour and a pinch of salt and pepper, and fold together.
- 9 Gradually add the milk, taking care not to over beat, then stir in the cheese and herbs.
- 10 Remove the asparagus from the oven and pour over the mixture. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until risen and golden.
Very enjoyable. Had with salad
- Average per serving
- Calories 480.0kCal