Melt the butter. Peel the baking potatoes. Peel the parsnip. Finely chop the garlic cloves. Grate the Gruyère cheese.
- 1 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 2 Brush the insides of one 23cm springform cake tin per potato bake being made with a little of the melted butter and line the bottom with baking paper.
- 3 Slice the potatoes and parsnips as thinly as possible, put them in a large bowl and season.
- 4 Drizzle over the remaining melted butter and mix together well.
- 5 Arrange half the potato and parsnip slices in overlapping layers in the cake tin.
- 6 Scatter over the garlic and cheese, and arrange the remaining slices on top.
- 7 Press down firmly and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until cooked through, covering the top with foil if it becomes too brown.
- 8 Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- 9 Run a knife around the edge of the bake to loosen it, then turn out of the tin. Cut into wedges to serve.
- Average per serving
- Calories 270.0kCal