Soften the butter. Toast and chop the walnuts.
- 1 You will need 1 large flat baking sheet, lined with greaseproof paper if not non-stick
- 2 Place the flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- 3 Whisk together the milk and egg and add to the flour. Gradually work the flour into the liquid to a soft but not sticky dough. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth, elastic and satiny.
- 4 Shape the smooth dough into a ball, return the dough to the bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Leave to rise at room temperature for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- 5 Knock back the risen dough, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 30cm x 22cm rectangle. Spread the Brewers’ paste over the dough and evenly scatter on the walnuts, sultanas or raisins and cheese.
- 6 Roll the dough up fairly tightly from one side, like a Swiss roll. Using both hands, gently squeeze out the roll until it is 40cm long. Using a sharp knife, cut the roll in half lengthways. Working with the cut side facing up, plait the halves together.
- 7 Place on a baking tray and shape into a neat ring, twisting and pinching the end strands together to close the ring. Cover loosely with a damp towel and leave to rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 8 Meanwhile preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan) gas 6. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the ring is firm and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Average per serving
- Calories 478.0kCal