Cube the chilled butter. Mix the egg yolks with 1 tbsp chilled water. Slice the large egg yolks. Crumble the mixed cheese into chunks.
- 1 Put the flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs then transfer to a bowl.
- 2 Stir in the egg yolk with a knife. Bring the mixture together with your hands, adding 1 tsp water if necessary. Roll into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 20 minutes.
- 3 Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 (180°C for fan ovens). Lightly grease one 24cm loose-bottomed tart tin per one tart.
- 4 Roll out the pastry on a floured surface into a circle – about 5cm bigger than the tin and 5mm thick.
- 5 Line the tin with the pastry, leaving a little to overhang. Top with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans and bake for 15 minutes.
- 6 Remove the beans and return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
- 7 Reduce the temperature to 160°/325°F/ gas 3 (140°C for fan ovens).
- 8 Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan, add the onions and cook gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9 Add the marmalade and remove from the heat. Spread over the cooked pastry case.
- 10 Beat the eggs with the cream and half the thyme, season well, then add half the cheese.
- 11 Pour into the pastry case and top with the remaining cheese and thyme. Bake for 30 minutes until set and golden.
- Average per serving
- Calories 510.0kCal