Soften the butter. Beat the medium free-range eggs. Zest the oranges. Zest the lemons.
- 1 Place the dried fruits and Morello cherries with the raisins in dark rum syrup, lemon and orange zest in a bowl. Cover and leave to stand for several hours or overnight. Stir thoroughly.
- 2 Grease and line a 23cm (9in) deep round tin with a double layer of greased greaseproof paper. Wrap outside with 3 layers of newspaper and secure with string . Preheat the oven to 140°C / Fan 120°C / gas 1.
- 3 Place the butter, sugar, treacle and eggs in a large bowl. Beat together well until light and creamy. Now fold in the almonds, flours and Christmas spice. Stir in the fruits. Spoon into the prepared tin, create a deep well in the middle of the cake and level the surface.
- 4 Bake in the centre of the oven for 4-4½ hours or until the cake feels firm to the touch and is a rich golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin.
- 5 Pierce the cake at intervals with a fine skewer and feed with a little extra rum, the flavours of the rum will mature as the cake keeps.
- 6 Do not remove the lining paper which will help to keep the cake moist but now wrap the cold cake in a double layer of greaseproof paper, then foil. Store the cake in an air- tight container.
Delicious moist and full of Christmas spirit x
I want to try this. Went to m&s today. Could not find raisins in dark rum, or Christmas spice. Please advise
I have made the Christmas cake but as one reviewer has said she could not get the raisins or Christmas spice. Neither could I. Had to use the spices I normally use when making Delia's. Why put the recipe on the app when the ingredients are not available. Not good enough. Cannot say what the cake itself is like as obviously it will be cut at Christmas.