Dice the butter. Finely chop the small onions.
- 1 Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- 2 Add the egg yolk and 1-2 tbsp cold water per yolk used, and stir to bring the mixture together.
- 3 Knead briefly and wrap in cling-film. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- 4 To make the filling, heat the butter in a large frying pan and add the onion. Cook gently for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- 5 Pour in the sherry and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 6 Add the vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and simmer for another 1 minute.
- 7 Stir in the mustard and cayenne pepper, remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- 8 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 9 Roll out the pastry and use to line tartlet tins (with 10cm diameters).
- 10 Line with baking paper and baking beans. Bake for 15 minutes then remove the paper and beans.
- 11 Scoop the crab meat from the shells into a bowl and mix briefly.
- 12 Beat together the egg and cream, then fold in the onion mixture and crab meat.
- 13 Spoon into the pastry cases and bake for 15-20 minutes, until just set.
- Average per serving
- Calories 405.0kCal