Beat the eggs. Chill the butter. Split the vanilla pods and scrape out and retain the seeds. Halve the Turkish figs.
For the Pastry
For the Filling
And the rest...
- 1 Put the flour in a large bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips to make fine breadcrumbs.
- 2 Stir in the sugar.
- 3 Stir enough of the beaten egg into the mix to form a soft dough. Knead briefly, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- 4 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 5 Roll out the pastry and use to line one 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin per tart being made.
- 6 Line the pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 15 minutes.
- 7 Remove the paper and beans. Return the pastry case to the oven for 5 minutes; remove and set aside to cool.
- 8 In a clean bowl, whisk together the cream, egg and egg yolk and half the honey until combined.
- 9 Stir the vanilla seeds into the cream mixture and pour it into the pastry case.
- 10 Nestle the figs, cut-side up, into the custard mixture and drizzle over the remaining honey.
- 11 Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the custard has just set.
Simply recipe which is easy to follow. Tart is delicious and can also be made with other fruit. My daughters favourite is strawberry. Have already made this several times. Have cheated once or twice and used ready made sweet pastry and no one could tell!
Made this with black cherries, yum. So easy to make.
Bit of a disaster bake. I need more practice at making pastry. The custard filling was great but I wouldn't recommend using figs,mine were pretty tasteless.
- Average per serving
- Calories 500.0kCal