Finely chop the garlic cloves. Finely chop the spring onions. Chop the fresh chive.
- 1 For the vinaigrette, score a cross in the base of each tomato. Put in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside for 2-3 minutes.
- 2 Drain well; when cool enough, peel away the skins.
- 3 Halve the tomatoes, remove the seeds, then dice the flesh.
- 4 Heat all but 1 tbsp of the oil in a small pan and add the onions and garlic. Cook gently for 1 minute.
- 5 Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- 6 Stir in the vinegar, sugar and chives; season, then set aside.
- 7 Heat the grill to high.
- 8 Brush the sardines with the remaining oil and lay on a foil-lined grill rack. Grill for 3-4 minutes each side, until cooked through.
- 9 Spoon over the vinaigrette and serve with crusty bread or new potatoes.
- Average per serving
- Calories 280.0kCal