Sieve the plain flour. Cube the butter. Remove the shells from the cardamom pods and grind the seeds. Beat the eggs. Peel, core and cut each of the pears into 8 slices.
- 1 To make the shortcrust pastry, in a large bowl rub the butter into the flour using the tips of your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- 2 Sieve in the icing sugar, stir to combine, then add the egg yolk and sprinkle over the water.
- 3 Bring the mixture together with your hands, kneading a couple of times to form a soft dough.
- 4 Wrap in cling-film and put in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- 5 For the filling, put the pears, cardamom, sugar, apple juice and flour in a bowl and mix together.
- 6 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 7 Cut off a third of the pastry and wrap in cling-film.
- 8 Roll out the remaining pastry to line one 20cm diameter x 4cm deep pie dish per pie being made. Chill for 10 minutes.
- 9 Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into 9 strips per pie being made, about 2cm wide.
- 10 Fill the pie dish with the pears, then brush the rim with beaten egg. (If you are making more than one pie, divide the pears and egg between the dishes.)
- 11 Lay 6 pastry strips vertically across the top of the pie, then weave through the other 3 horizontally to create a lattice.
- 12 Trim the edges and press down to seal. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- 13 Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden.
- 14 Remove and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- 15 Serve warm with custard.
Oh Wanna bake it;)
I really recommend this dish it is just amazing
Lol. Folded slkfk
- Average per serving
- Calories 455.0kCal