Chill and dice the butter. Zest the lemons. Trim and cut the forced rhubarb into 5cm lengths.
For the Pastry
For the Filling
And the rest...
- 1 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°f/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 2 To make the pastry, sift the flour into a large bowl and rub in the butter to form fine breadcrumbs.
- 3 Stir in the ground almonds and icing sugar, then 2-21⁄2 tbsp cold water per cake being made.
- 4 Bring the mixture together to form a firm dough. Knead briefly and wrap in clingfilm. Chill for 20 minutes. Move on to the next step while you wait.
- 5 Meanwhile, arrange the rhubarb in a single layer in a roasting tin. Scatter over half of the demerara sugar and roast for 10-12 minutes, until just tender then set aside to cool slightly.
- 6 Roll out the pastry and use to line one lightly greased 23cm loose-bottomed flan tin per cake. Line with baking parchment and baking beans, and bake for 15 minutes.
- 7 Remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- 8 Whisk the eggs and caster sugar together in a bowl until doubled in volume.
- 9 Fold in the soured cream and lemon zest until just combined, then pour into the pastry case until it’s three-quarters full.
- 10 Carefully spoon the rhubarb pieces over the top and bake for 20-25 minutes, until pale golden and set.
- 11 Scatter over the remaining demerara sugar. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- 12 Serve warm with Greek-style yogurt.
- Average per serving
- Calories 280.0kCal