Zest and juice the limes. Quarter the small courgettes lengthways then cut each quarter into 5cm lengths.
For the Mayonnaise Dip
- 1 Put the egg yolks, Dijon mustard and half the lime rind and juice in a food processor and season.
- 2 Whizz briefly to combine then, with the motor still running, pour the oil in a slow, steady stream through the feeder tube.
- 3 Stir in the remaining lime rind and juice to taste, then transfer to a bowl, cover and chill until ready to use.
For the Fritters
- 4 Whisk together the water and egg in a large bowl.
- 5 Whisk in the flour, chilli flakes and a pinch of salt. Do not over-whisk – it doesn’t matter if there are a few small lumps.
- 6 Heat the oil in a wok or deep frying pan until a cube of added bread turns brown in around 30 seconds.
- 7 Add the courgette pieces to the batter and turn to coat, then drop into the hot oil. You will need to do this in batches.
- 8 Cook for 3-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden.
- 9 Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Serve with the lime mayonnaise dip and extra lime wedges for squeezing.
- Average per serving
- Calories 730.0kCal