Plus 4 tbsp extra of the caster sugar. Stone and quarter the cherries. Zest and juice the oranges. Separate the eggs. Melt the butter.
- 1 To make the syrup, put 100g sugar and 200ml water into a heavy-based saucepan, and bring to the boil.
- 2 Simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture forms a syrup.
- 3 Leave to cool.
- 4 Put the cherries in a bowl with 2 tbsp sugar, the orange zest and juice, and mix evenly to coat.
- 5 Cover and leave in the fridge to macerate for 30 minutes.
- 6 Strain the cherries, reserving the liquid. Add the cherry liquid to the cooled syrup base.
- 7 Heat the oven to 120°C/100°C fan/gas ½. Prepare the pancake batter.
- 8 Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, 2 tbsp sugar and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
- 9 In another bowl, mix together the egg yolks, yogurt or buttermilk, milk and melted butter.
- 10 Add the dry ingredients, a third at a time, and whisk until you have a thick, relatively smooth batter.
- 11 Whisk the egg whites until stiff, and gently fold into the batter, until evenly combined.
- 12 Cover and rest for 10-15 minutes.
- 13 Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat.
- 14 Brush lightly with butter, then drop 2 tbsp batter into the pan to make pancakes about 10cm in diameter (make two at a time).
- 15 After 2-3 minutes, or when bubbles appear on the surface, flip the pancakes and cook for 1 minute or until golden.
- 16 Transfer to the warm oven while you cook the rest.
- 17 To serve, place 3 or 4 pancakes on each plate.
- 18 Top with the cherries, syrup and a dollop of crème fraîche.
- Average per serving
- Calories 614.0kCal