Peel, core and cut each of the peas into 8 wedges. Defrost the frozen shortcrust pastry. Soften the butter.
- 1 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens). Put a baking sheet in the oven.
- 2 Gently heat the butter and sugar in a heavy-based frying pan, until the sugar has melted.
- 3 Add the pears and cook for 1-2 minutes each side, until just tender.
- 4 Put a sieve over a bowl and tip the pears into it. Set them aside to cool, reserving the toffee sauce.
- 5 Roll out the pastry and use to line one 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin per tart being made.
- 6 Trim the edges, line the pastry case with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and set aside.
- 7 Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 (160°C for fan ovens).
- 8 To make the frangipane filling, beat together the butter and sugar in a bowl, until pale and fluffy.
- 9 Beat in the egg, then fold in the flour and ground almonds.
- 10 Spread the mixture over the base of the pastry case and arrange the pears on top.
- 11 Bake for 20-30 minutes, until golden and just set.
- 12 Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the tart from the tin and spoon the reserved toffee sauce over the top.
- 13 Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Average per serving
- Calories 590.0kCal