Crumble the Wensleydale cheese. Core and thinly slice the small apples. Crush the garlic cloves. Chop the small onions. Defrost the frozen shortcrust pastry.
- 1 Roll out the pastry and use to line a 23cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Prick the base a few times with a fork, then cover and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- 2 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 3 Line the pastry case with baking parchment, fill with baking beans and bake for 20 minutes.
- 4 Remove the paper and beans, then return the pastry case to the oven for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
- 5 Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and thyme and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- 6 Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the remaining oil to the pan, then add the apple slices and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel.
- 7 Beat together the eggs and milk; season.
- 8 Spread out the onion mixture in the pastry case and scatter over half the cheese.
- 9 Arrange the apple slices on top, then pour over the egg mixture. Scatter over the remaining cheese and bake for 25-35 minutes, until the filling is just set.
This is unusual for a quiche but delicious and really easy to make.
- Average per serving
- Calories 410.0kCal