Finely slice the onions. Crush the garlic cloves. Finely chop the lemongrass. Lightly crush the coriander seeds. Lightly crush the fennel seeds. Finely slice ( and for less heat and remove the seeds from) the green chillis. Rinse the red lentils. Pick the leaves reserve the stalks of the fresh mint. Finely slice the spring onions. Finely chop the leaves and stalks of the fresh coriander.
- 1 Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a pan on a medium heat.
- 2 Add the onion, season and cook gently for 8 mins.
- 3 Stir in the garlic, lemongrass, spices and chilli and cook for another 2 mins.
- 4 Add the lentils and mint stalks and stir well to coat; season.
- 5 Pour in 500ml water (or vegetable stock if you have it).
- 6 Bring to the boil then gently simmer for 20 mins or until the lentils are cooked through.
- 7 Add a little extra more water if needed.
- 8 Serve in bowls, scattered with the spring onion and herbs on top.
Delicious broth. I was generous with the spices as I like very strong flavours but it came out well!
- Average per serving
- Calories 299.0kCal