Season the plain flour. Peel and cut the large red onions into wedges. Peel and cut the swedes into large chunks. Thinly slice the garlic cloves. Chop the fresh rosemary.
- 1 Heat the oven to 170°C/325°f/gas 3 (150°C for fan ovens). Heat half of the oil in a large, flameproof casserole.
- 2 Toss the beef in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- 3 When the oil is very hot, add the beef to the pan and fry over a high heat until browned (do this in batches, if necessary). Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- 4 Add the remaining oil to the casserole. Reduce the heat and add the onion. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until tender and caramelised.
- 5 Add the swede, garlic and fresh rosemary and cook for 2 minutes.
- 6 Pour in the stout, mix well, then bubble for 2 minutes.
- 7 Return the beef to the casserole and stir to combine.
- 8 Season, then cover with a tight-fitting lid. Transfer to the oven and cook for 11⁄2 hours, until the beef is tender.
- 9 Serve with the mash and some freshly cooked green veg.
- Average per serving
- Calories 380.0kCal