Sift the caster sugar.
- 1 Line a small baking sheet with baking paper.
- 2 Scoop out 1 walnut-sized ball of ice cream per bombe being made on to the paper, and put in the freezer until you are ready to assemble the tarts.
- 3 Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 (160°C for fan ovens).
- 4 With a sharp knife, remove the pastry tops from each mince pie (this may be easier if you warm the pies first, but allow them to cool before you add the ice cream in step 8).
- 5 Whisk the egg whites in a large, clean bowl until they form stiff peaks.
- 6 Gradually whisk in the caster sugar until you have a stiff, glossy meringue.
- 7 Transfer to a piping bag with a medium-sized attachment.
- 8 Place a ball of ice cream on top of each mince pie.
- 9 Pipe meringue around it, enclosing the ice cream to form a cone shape.
- 10 Bake for 4-5 minutes, until the meringue is a pale golden colour.
- 11 Serve immediately, with extra ice cream if desired.
I made my own mince pies without the tops so no wastage there. I was probably too generous with the ice-cream as it did melt out quite a lot when baking but they tasted wonderful anyway. Will have to make some more now to get it right ... sigh!! ;-)
It was sort of good but it didn’t have the crunch and the texture was soggy
- Average per serving
- Calories 255.0kCal