Peel, remove the seeds and roughly chop the pumpkin or butternut squash. Beat the eggs.
- 1 Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- 2 Arrange the pumpkin in a single layer on a large baking tray.
- 3 Drizzle over the maple syrup and sprinkle with the spices, then cover tightly with foil.
- 4 Bake for 40 minutes or until tender to the touch with a knife.
- 5 Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to the thickness of a pound coin and use to line a 22cm loose-bottomed, fluted flan tin, leaving 1cm of pastry hanging over the edge of the tin.
- 6 Prick the base with a fork and chill for 10 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- 7 Line the pastry with baking paper, fill with baking beans, and bake for 15 minutes.
- 8 Remove the beans and paper, and return to the oven for 5 minutes or until light golden brown.
- 9 Trim the excess pastry with a small sharp knife while it is still warm, then set aside to cool.
- 10 Remove the pumpkin from the oven.
- 11 Put 600g cooked pumpkin, plus the juices, into a food processer.
- 12 Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then add the eggs, bourbon and cream, and whizz until smooth.
- 13 Pour into the prepared pastry case, and place on a baking sheet.
- 14 Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/160°C/gas 4 and bake for 45 minutes.
- 15 Meanwhile, dry fry the pecans in a large frying pan until just turning golden, tip out and set aside.
- 16 Cook the caster sugar in the frying pan over a medium heat, shaking the pan but not stirring, until it has melted and turned light golden.
- 17 Add 1 tbsp water and swirl to mix with the melted sugar.
- 18 Add the toasted pecans and shake the pan to coat them.
- 19 Tip onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and leave to cool.
- 20 Remove the pie from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin.
- 21 Transfer to a serving plate and leave to cool.
- 22 Once cool, top with the caramelised pecans.
- 23 Serve with ice cream, custard or a little double cream
Lack of clear instructions regarding pie baking (in or out of the baking tin), scramble-egg like texture of the filling and not sweet enough either. A little bit time consuming and disappointing...
- Average per serving
- Calories 519.0kCal