Cut the red onions into wedges. Finely chop the garlic cloves. Deseed and cut the medium butternut squashes into 3cm cubes. Peel and cut the swedes into 2cm cubes. Grate the frozen butter.
- 1 For the stew, heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Cook the onion and garlic for 3 minutes until softened.
- 2 Stir in the squash and swede, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- 3 Pour in the tomatoes and the water.
- 4 Season, stir in the tomato purée and pearl barley, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, and cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 5 For the dumplings, sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl and stir in the grated butter.
- 6 Add the pesto and cold water and mix to a soft dough.
- 7 Roll the mixture into 2 dumplings per serving being made and drop them gently on top of the stew. Cover and cook for 20 minutes then serve the stew with the dumplings.
- Average per serving
- Calories 415.0kCal