Peel and finely chop the onions. Lightly beat the eggs. Finely chop the smoked streaky bacon. Grate the Parmesan cheese. Cut the mature Cheddar into small cubes.
- 1 Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the bacon until the fat begins to run.
- 2 Add the onion and gently cook for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 3 Heat the oven to 190°C/ 375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens) and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- 4 Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- 5 Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl, add a pinch of salt and make a well in the centre.
- 6 Put the yogurt in a measuring jug and mix in enough milk to bring it to 225ml.
- 7 Add to the flour the melted butter, eggs, yogurt mix and 25g of the Parmesan, mixing swiftly with a large metal spoon to create a rough batter.
- 8 Fold in the bacon, onion and Cheddar, spoon into the cases and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- 9 Bake for 25-30 minutes or until risen and well browned.
- 10 Leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Eat while still warm.
These were easy to make and delicious - espy with a bit of onion chutney! Next time, I’d add a bit more bacon, stronger cheddar cheese and a pinch of pepper!
- Average per serving
- Calories 275.0kCal