Slice the medium leeks. Dice the salted butter. Slice the smoked streaky bacon. Grate the mild Cheddar cheese.
- 1 Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 (180°C for fan ovens).
- 2 Put the flour and butter in a bowl, then gently rub together with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- 3 Stir in the water and mix to form a dough.
- 4 Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and use it to line one 25cm loose-bottomed tart tin per tart being made.
- 5 Prick the base, line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Blind-bake for 20 minutes. Move on to the next step while you wait.
- 6 Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the leek for 5 minutes.
- 7 Add the bacon and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- 8 Beat together the eggs and cream.
- 9 Stir in half the bacon and leeks and half the cheese; season.
- 10 Remove the paper and beans from the pastry, then bake for a further 5 minutes to lightly brown.
- 11 Spread a thin layer of mustard (if using) over the pastry base, then pour in the egg filling.
- 12 Sprinkle over the remaining leeks, bacon and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes until set.
- 13 Leave to cool then chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour until ready to serve.
- Average per serving
- Calories 540.0kCal