Zest the lemons. Beat the eggs. Peel, halve and core the just-ripe Conference pears. Make sure the butter is at room temperature.
- 1 Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 (180°C for fan ovens).
- 2 Lightly grease one 24cm shallow, loose-bottomed, fluted tart tin per tart being made with butter.
- 3 Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a circle about 4cm larger than your tin.
- 4 Using the rolling pin, lift the pastry onto the tin and press into place, allowing the pastry to overhang the tin slightly. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- 5 Lightly prick the base with a fork, line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans (you can use rice or dried pulses instead). Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- 6 Remove the baking beans, then return the pastry case to the oven for 5-10 minutes until lightly golden.
- 7 Leave to cool slightly, then trim the overhanging pastry using a sharp knife.
- 8 Reduce the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 (160°C for fan ovens).
- 9 In a bowl, use an electric whisk to beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- 10 Very gradually whisk in the beaten eggs.
- 11 Fold in the almonds and lemon zest.
- 12 Spoon into the pastry case and spread out evenly over the base.
- 13 Starting 1cm below the top of each pear half, cut lengthways into 6 slices and fan out slightly. Sit each pear half on top of the mixture and press down gently.
- 14 Bake the tart for 45-50 minutes until lightly golden and firm to the touch.
- 15 Leave to cool in the tin then carefully transfer to a board.
- 16 While still warm, heat the jam with the water until runny, then brush over the tart.
- 17 Serve warm or cold with the clotted cream.
Light, creamy and delicious. We had it with a dollop of thick Greek yogurt instead of clotted cream. I increased sugar to 130g based on the previous reviews to get bit more sweetness and it worked a treat.
This tart was certainly ‘quick and easy!’ And quite yummy ... could do with a bit more sugar and frangipane. Quite tasteless - wouldn’t make it again 😑
Horrible I’m pregnant
- Average per serving
- Calories 560.0kCal