Dice the carrots. Finely chop the garlic cloves. Chop the fresh flat-leaf parsley.
- 1 Rub half the oil over the lamb.
- 2 Heat the oven to 150°C/300°F/gas 2 (130°C for fan ovens).
- 3 Heat the remaining oil in a large flameproof casserole, add the lamb and cook for 5 minutes over a medium-high heat, turning once, until browned all over. Remove from the casserole.
- 4 Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- 5 Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- 6 Lightly crush the peppercorns then add to the casserole with the lamb, red wine, stock, bouquet garni and cinnamon stick.
- 7 Cover and bring to a gentle simmer, then transfer to the oven and cook for 1.5 hours.
- 8 Carefully turn the lamb then cook, uncovered, for another 1.5 hours until tender.
- 9 Remove the lamb, transfer to a warm plate and cover with foil.
- 10 Put the casserole on the hob over a high heat and bubble for 15 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened.
- 11 Return the lamb to the casserole and coat in the sauce.
- 12 Scatter over the parsley; serve with mashed potato and green veg.
- Average per serving
- Calories 495.0kCal