Season the plain flour. Cut each of the red chillis into 8 wedges. Cut the parsnips into large chunks.
- 1 Heat the oven to 150°C/300°F/gas 2 (130°C for fan ovens).
- 2 Put the flour on a plate and roll the beef joint in it.
- 3 Heat half the oil in a large, flameproof casserole. Cook the beef over a high heat, turning often, until browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the casserole and set aside.
- 4 Add the remaining oil to the casserole and cook the onions and parsnips over a medium heat until golden.
- 5 Stir in any leftover flour then gradually add the wine, stirring constantly.
- 6 Mix in the tomato purée, season, add the bouquet garni and bring to a simmer.
- 7 Return the beef to the casserole and cover. Cook for 75 minutes.
- 8 Turn the beef and cook for another 75 minutes.
- 9 Remove the beef and slice into chunky pieces. Arrange on plates and spoon over the veg and sauce.
- 10 Serve with creamy mash and steamed seasonal greens, if you like.
- Average per serving
- Calories 440.0kCal