Chop the onions. Roughly chop the carrots. Chop the garlic cloves. Chop the fresh flat-leaf parsley.
- 1 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 2 Heat the oil and butter in a large casserole dish on the hob, until foaming. Add the pheasants and cook for 5-6 minutes, turning frequently, until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
- 3 Add the onion, carrots and bacon to the casserole (with a little more oil if necessary) and cook over a high heat for 4-5 minutes, until the lardons have turned golden.
- 4 Add the garlic and juniper berries and cook for another 1 minute.
- 5 Pour in the red wine and chicken stock, and season. Cover the casserole with a tightly fitting lid, transfer to the oven and cook for 40-50 minutes, or until the pheasant is cooked through.
- 6 Remove the pheasant from the casserole, place on a board, cover and leave to rest for 10 minutes. Move on to the next step while you wait.
- 7 Meanwhile, stir the parsley into the sauce.
- 8 Carve the pheasant and serve with the sauce, creamy mashed potato and green vegetables.
- Average per serving
- Calories 505.0kCal