Separate the eggs.
- 1 Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 (160°C for fan ovens) and fill a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- 2 Place a large heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (the base of the bowl must not touch the water), add the chocolate and butter and leave to melt for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Once the chocolate has cooled a little, reheat it again, then leave to cool once more – this avoids unsightly marks appearing once the chocolate sets (but it’s not compulsory).
- 4 Beat together the caster sugar and egg yolks until pale, then stir into the chocolate.
- 5 Sift in the flour and baking powder, then beat into the mixture with a wooden spoon.
- 6 Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the mixture.
- 7 Half-fill each of the muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- 8 Use an apple corer to cut out holes from the top of each cake (to about half-way down), then fill with jam.
- 9 For the glaze, melt the chocolate, then stir in the butter and golden syrup. Spread on top of the cakes and decorate with chocolate shavings.
- Average per serving
- Calories 430.0kCal