Mince the garlic cloves. Deseed and dice the red chillis. Finely chop the piece fresh ginger. Peel and grate the carrots.
- 1 Sterilise 2 glass jam jars as follows.
- 2 Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- 3 Wash the jars in hot, soapy water, then rinse well.
- 4 Put the wet jars on a baking tray and heat in the oven for 15 mins, or until completely dry.
- 5 Place the lids in a pan of boiling water, then remove with tongs and leave to dry on a clean tea towel.
- 6 In a large saucepan, bring the sugar and vinegar to boil.
- 7 Reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar has dissolved, then stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- 8 Bring to a boil again, then reduce the heat and simmer for one hour, until thick.
- 9 Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- 10 Transfer to the sterilised jars and store in the fridge.
- 11 Perfect served in a grilled Cheddar cheese sandwich.
I tried this recipe when dealing with a glut of carrots As I could not find carrot juice, I substituted apple juice. The recipe works up until the point when the apple/carrot juice is added I followed the amount but it was just too much. Maybe 75ml would have been enough. I had to boil it to death to get rid of the excess liquid Had a taste test today. Now it's clear I'm going to have to make it again. As recommended, it goes very well with cheese
Very yummy. Could not find carrot juice so added extra vinegar and apple.
- Average per serving
- Calories 22.0kCal