Thinly slice the onions. Separate the leaves and stalks of the thyme and discard of the stalks.
- 1 Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the onions with the thyme, sugar and a pinch of salt.
- 2 Cook for 10 minutes, stirring, until the onions are soft and golden.
- 3 Add the ale and mustard, and cook for 5 minutes.
- 4 Heat the oil in another frying pan and heat the grill to high.
- 5 Season the steak and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the meat, for medium rare.
- 6 Alternatively, you can grill the steak if you prefer.
- 7 Set the steak aside to rest.
- 8 Meanwhile, slice the ciabatta in half and top the bottom half with the onions, followed by the cheese.
- 9 Pop under the grill to melt the cheese.
- 10 Slice the steak and layer on top of the cheese, followed by the rocket.
- 11 Top with the other half of bread and cut in two to serve.
Brilliant recipe - swapped out the onion for red onion and the ale for red wine to work with what I had, but yummy nonetheless!
Easy to make and tasted delicious. A firm family favourite.
Fast to make, utterly delicious, definitely making again. Fantastic.
- Average per serving
- Calories 956.0kCal