Peel and quarter the onions. Soften the butter.
- 1 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 2 Remove all the packaging and giblets from the turkey.
- 3 Calculate the cooking time by following the packaging instructions for your turkey, but if you’re unsure, allow 18 minutes per 450g/1lb and roast at 190°C/ 375°F/gas 5 (or 170°C for fan ovens).
- 4 Put the onion and 2 rosemary sprigs into the cavity. Transfer to a large roasting tin.
- 5 Spread the butter over the breast of the turkey and season. Cover with a large tent of foil.
- 6 Roast for the calculated time, basting with the juices every 45 minutes.
- 7 Remove the foil for the final 30 minutes of cooking time.
- 8 Remove from the oven and check the turkey is cooked by piercing the thickest part of the leg with a skewer – if the juices run clear, you know it’s cooked.
- 9 Transfer to a warm serving plate and cover loosely with foil.
- 10 Allow the turkey to rest for at least 30 minutes, then garnish with the remaining rosemary sprigs and fresh cranberries to serve.
- Average per serving
- Calories 390.0kCal