Finely slice the red onions. Halve, trim and finely slice the fennels head, and reserve and chop the fronds. Finely chop the garlic cloves. Shred the Sweetheart cabbage. Crush the black peppercorns.
- 1 Pat the steaks dry with kitchen paper. Spread out the peppercorns on a plate and press the steaks onto them to lightly coat both sides. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- 2 Heat half of the oil in a small frying pan and add the garlic and cumin. Cook gently for 1-2 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- 3 Put the onion, fennel and cabbage in a large bowl. Spoon in the mayonnaise and yogurt, then drizzle over the garlic mixture.
- 4 Season and scatter over the chopped fennel fronds. Mix well and set aside.
- 5 Heat the remaining oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and add the venison steaks. Cook over a medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes each side (depending on how you like them cooked).
- 6 Remove from the heat and leave to rest for 2 minutes.
- 7 Serve with the winter slaw and crusty bread.
- Average per serving
- Calories 250.0kCal